The interesting thing about money is that it is like a cellphone. They both rely on an infastructure to give them value. Cash can buy you a boat ride off an island and Cash can buy you a ride into a town to get out of the woods. Just like a cellphone with out the infastructure to back it up both are kinda usless.

The thing that I always like about this site and about Doug's phylosophy is that while in a survival situation you can't rely on the infastructure, you will eventualy return to civilization.

If a Katrian like event occured and you had to bug out of where you are Yes it will be very "apocoplitic" in both resorces and in feel. But after a few hours drive, maybe even a day, you will find civilization, and then the bowie knife and camping equipment that helped you to survive,(I am exagerating and speaking figurativly) is quickly replaced by cash, and maybe credit cards.

Yes if the civilized world today stoped, Cash would be usless, but I am hedging a bet that having about $1k in cash will still go somewhere in helping you get what you need to keep you and yours safe. .