Originally Posted By: Skimo
I think my biggest concern is dirty nukes, a shelter will become a coffin unless you have a way out that doesn't get you covered and filled with the dust. There's really no avoiding it unless you can run faster than the wind.

Good hide out for conventional attacks and whatnot, but like I said, if your backyard is Chernobyl it's just a coffin.

Good point. Not all of us would have this ability, but prevailing winds and potential evac routes would be something to consider when siting a house, or choosing an apartment. There are several nuclear power plants in this state. I'm no expert here, but almost all winter, the wind blows from N or NW, so if there was a radioactive steam release, the plume would travel S or SE. The reverse is true in the summer.

Fortunately, our power plants are not like Chernobyl, and dirty nukes are a car-bomb type localized threat right now as those who would use them against us do not have a mechanized system capable of delivering a high-yield weapon to this continent.

Russia and the former Soviet satellite countries still have some aging ICBMs, but what is the tactical reason to launch at us? To disrupt our economy? To destroy our industrial base?....Very tempting to wax political here, but hopefully you see my point.

I think the nuclear threat is very small here, compared to multi-source air and ground water pollution. I think those take a slow, silent, deadly toll. Just my personal opinion.