Originally Posted By: LoneWolf
Hello wolfpack and welcome to the forum.

Just wanted to jump in here with a few comments.

In my opinion, I would leave the cell phone chargers, and the high visibility vest out of the bag. Based on what I have read, you are preparing for a true SHTF situation. My guess is that cell phone towers will be off line along with electricity. I am also of the opinion that you should adopt the "grey" man mindset when you travel. Don't stand out. Move quietly and get home quickly, hence my thought to leave the vest. I would suspect that in the SHTF situation that you are describing, there are going to be a lot of people who will want what you are carrying in your pack. Might want to think some more about security. Again, just my opinion. I would also throw in a few coffee filters. You can use them to filter out some of the nasties in the water (bugs, mud, etc....) before you use your water purification system.

There have been several suggestions to drop the cell chargers. I'm still mentally debating this. Probably more of an emotional rather than logical debate. The only real thing that doesn't make me dump them immediately is I purposely selected very small, and very lightweight charges. The two chargers together plus cable are only about the size of a deck of cards. Altogether they only about about 2 oz. So I don't save a lot of weight or space by jettisoning them. Like I said, I am still debating. I'll add your vote to the "No" pile.

As to the reflective vest. It is actually a small (6"x6") reflective cloth triangular slow moving vehicle sign. It consists of just the triangular sign and waist belt. (originally there was also a flashing bicycle tail light for the same purpose, but a friend of mine convinced me to drop that already) I have used this reflective sign in the past to strap around my pack to help drivers keep from hitting me on the narrow, winding, shoulderless road I live on. It works well, weighs nothing, and takes up no space. My intention was leave it inside my pack and only use it if I reached an area that still had moving vehicles. It would be used only if I thought the situation warranted. I would hate to survive a major earthquake, hike 20 miles home, and be killed a block from my house by a panicked driver racing to get home to their cat. Especially if, as is thought, damage up north of Seattle could be considerably less than to Seattle proper. Of course if cars are moving, I may decide to flag one down and try to get a lift. In that case I could also use the sign as a signal.

Quote:
On a slightly different note. You stated that you are somewhat out of shape. Is it permissible to wear your boots at work? My thoughts are that if you can wear them to and from work you will keep them broken in along with having your feet used to wearing them. Starting a 20 mile trek in new boots just doesn't sound like a terribly good idea. Also, for a little extra exercise, could you add some weight to what you are currently carrying and get off the bus a stop or two earlier so you get a better walk? What I have done in the past when training for a long hike is to take several water bladders and fill them up and toss them in the pack. This gives you the option if you find that something doesn't fit right or you have bit off more than you can chew then you can just dump the water and lighten the pack to finish up.

Yes, I can and have been wearing my boots to work. As you suggested, I have been working on breaking them in this way. They are to heavy and hot to want to wear all the time though. Funny how they feel fine when hiking all day, but feel heavy and tight when sitting at a desk all day. AI t some point will just leave them at work so they are ready to go. Wearing them once a month or so to keep them broken in and to keep my feet used to them is an excellent idea though.

As to getting into better shape. Using a farther bus stop is an excellent easy to do suggestion and one that I am already doing. There is one bus stop 5 blocks away, and a second seven. The one I go to is 14 blocks. About 3/4 of the distance is up the fairly steep hills we have in downtown Seattle. I also try to take the stairs up and down from the ground to my 5th floor office. Actually I go to the 7th floor which is as tall as my building is. (though I am much less consistent about this) I can definitely tell it helps.

A backpack is my bag of choice for going to/from work. What with various EDC items, water, books, etc. it usually weighs between 12-15 pounds. Adding another bottle or two of water would get more into the range of my GHB. Good idea. In addition to walking and stairs, I also play B level volleyball 2-3 times a week. All of it helps, but it is not like spending an hour at the gym, running 5 miles, or biking 20 five times a week. I'm not a total couch potato, but I certainly couldn't climb five 14'ers in Colorado before 1pm like used to do when I was 30.

Your idea on the coffee filters is another excellent idea. That is something I have run across at various times but had forgotten about. Thanks for the reminder and will add the coffee filters.

Keep all these great ideas and opinions coming. I like having lots of ideas to think about and decide among.

Edited by wolfepack (08/04/10 11:15 PM)