Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor
Quote:
What I consider the biggest obstacle to hiking home is having to cross the "Ship Canal", which is a canal for shipping which links Lake Washington to the ocean.

The George Washington Memorial Bridge probably wouldn't survive a major earthquake as it looks to be of a similar design to the one that fell down a few years back in Minneapolis. The Fremont Bridge looks to be a better bet and you should have somewhere to sit whilst you ponder how to make the crossing unless of course the Tsunami has swept it away. wink

Looking at the distance the swim would take to cross the canal from Google Maps looks to be about 50-60 metres so looks quite doable.

My preferred bridges would be the University or Montlake bridges as they are closest to my preferred route home. Any info on how likely those are to survive an earthquake?

It is amazing what you can do with google maps. That is an excellent place to sit and ponder the best route to cross the river. I'll have to check that place out first hand. Did you stumble across that park bench or are you familiar with the area?