Originally Posted By: Susan
Wolfepack, that's a good list. I would only change two things.

Extra socks. Your feet are your lifeline in that situation.

There are three pairs of socks in my GHB. One to wear immediately and two spare pairs. Are you recommending more? If so, how many would you add?

Quote:
All that info on your USB, couldn't that be a nice gift if someone robbed you? SS and account numbers...

All the data on the USB drive is encrypted. The encryption itself would probably stop most average thieves, but is not intended to stop somebody willing to spend an inordinate amount of time to crack it.

Quote:
One thing that comes to mind is that some of the people you work with might be traveling in the same direction, a possible asset. Does anyone have a boat moored nearby?

I'm not aware of anyone with a nearby boat. I have thought about traveling with fellow co-workers. There are at least two that normally take the same bus I do and hence live in the same general area. However there are a lot of pro's and con's associated with that. I had actually intended to bring that whole idea up in a separate thread to see what forum members thought. Didn't want to get this thread to far away from the original GHB question.

Quote:
Does your company have any plans in place for a disaster like that? Maybe you could start something. It might be nice to get people accustomed to the idea that they might be taking in coworkers for a few days -- maybe you.

Lono is right, it could be hard to walk away from the people you work with. And if the bridge is down, you might be forced to hang around.

I have a similar, but worse, problem. I drive to Seattle almost daily, but live 85 bird miles south. At least two rivers to cross, if I made it out of Seattle. On foot, almost certainly. Blech!

Sue

I'm not aware of my company having any specific plans for emergencies (beyond the usual evac drills). It would be worthwhile asking.

Sorry to hear you live so far out. Even without an emergency that sounds like a painful commute. I'm glad the bus is an option for me, even though it reduces my emergency options.