Originally Posted By: Susan
"Radar won't see the target if the incoming beam isn't directed back where it came from (basic stealth concept)."

A guy in Oregon once told me that he had some friends who constantly exceeded the speed limit on the local roads, and they told him that they avoided radar traps by loosely crinkling HD aluminum foil and covering their hubcaps with it.

Would this really have the desired effect?

Sue

I don't know. It's not reflecting the radar away from the car because the crinkles have lots of folds in them to act as a retro-reflector.
On the other hand, from head-on the crinkles on the top of the hubcap are "coming" while the ones on the bottom are "going" which has the potential to confuse things. Still, there are lots of other radar-reflectors on the car that would reflect strongly.

I think they were pulling your leg.

Other- subs don't come close in-shore when the water is shallow ("shallow" would be a Classified term if specifics were given). Lookout though if it's deep. I think the boomers submerge in Hood's Canal which might be a recreational area.
But I agree, it's not a *big* threat. Especially if you make regular thumping noises that sound man-made.