Originally Posted By: unimogbert
Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
During the early years of radar, fishermen lashed metal barrels to their masts as radar reflectors.

I wonder if a space blanket would work?

A purpose-built radar reflector is a good idea. Occasionally known as the "Mongolian Ghost Trap" (can't recall where I read that) the idea is to hoist something that purposefully retro-reflects radar.
Radar won't see the target if the incoming beam isn't directed back where it came from (basic stealth concept). There are devices that look like a bunch of corners made of metal to hoist on your masthead.

THese things are important because there are a lot of merchant vessels out there being steered by "otto"
Otto-pilot. Everyone else is asleep.

Another threat to one's nautical well-being can be mentioned. Submarines.
(I came very, very close to hitting a sailboat one night.)

The other idea in the article that wasn't really tested was an enhanced life vest/jacket that would have radar reflective material built into it. That way there is less of a need for a awkward mast on the kayak. A mast changes the dynamics and balance of a very small craft. But combine the enhanced life jacket with a radar reflective hat my be commercially viable.
Still, the best alternative is to stay out of shipping lanes (not always possible), hug the shorelines, paddle in tight groups and be visible to the naked eye with bright reflective colours.

As far as submarines colliding with kayaks -- thanks for the laugh, because even small littoral subs (of which the US doesn't have anymore) don't come that close into shore to worry kayaker's who rarely venture more than a mile from shore.