I was really pleased with the $.99 poncho, truth be told. With a bit of paracord as a belt it kept me snug as a bug in a rug. grin And thin though it was I could have used it for days if needs be. Especially since my FAK had about 8-10' of Gorilla tape re-rolled. As you say, Art, if this were a survival situation it's not like I'd have been leading the Donner Party- it just would have had to keep me going til I got rescued.

BTW, another interesting "survival lesson" to be learned- the presence of a lot of blood doesn't mean anything. My cut bled copiously but it waqsn't nearly so bad as it initially seemed. Long experience has shown me that I'm a bleeder. No, not a hemophiliac but I do bleed more than the average person. Many people freak out at the sight of blood but I've cut my fingertip off twice and had several to-the-bone cuts in the kitchen. So while I understand and respect the risk of infection and such I also know that the presence of a lot of blood doesn't mean you're gonna keel over in a few minutes. STOP! Relax. Think. Don't freak out and run around, just calmly go to your FAK (you do keep one nearby, don't you?) and treat the injury. Don't dink around, but you do have time.