Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS
.this was a vacation,if you think long days on stormy lakes and hard slogs into remote backwaters over nasty portages rates as a vacation.the point is that you may find yourself in a survival situation that is not far removed from that and a fast,easy on the fuel,meal could make things feel somewhat better.wet,lost,alone,hurt and heating water over a scrap of wood and dumping it in a bag and getting Orange Chicken could make you ready to face another day.cooking is for camp outs,not survival.

Glad you made it back in one piece. I have been in the BWCAW during stormy weather...very memorable, especially the ping pong sized hail and the trees crashing down in our camp followed by two days of howling winds.

About the food, I don't argue with you when in the woods. I was talking about long term storage of food at home, not wilderness survival food. I agree with you that lightweight dehydrated rations are great when in the woods or on the waters. In our part of the world, we have a lot of water. In some other areas, not so much. If you use the minimum amount of water to rehydrate the food and don't have any to drink, you will become a 'brick layer' for the next 24 hours.