HJ,

Great list and wonderful discussion. Lots to think about here. I try to keep it light, partly because I am usually carrying other heavy stuff (rocks!). My lists are similar to yours, but I made mine up from a Ritter PSK (enhanced before they came that way, now sometimes with a Mk 5), a modified AMK .3 ultralight FAK and a Heatsheet. I like starting with the kit because it makes the cost less, now that there are kits worth buying (Thanks a lot Doug!!). There are lots of other things in my pack that can be used, but these are the SURVIVAL items. The others are day to day items. Some of your list (i.e. the watch) I would not have thought to put on a list, because I wear one all the time. In today's world lots of people don't and it is good to put on the list. I would put the PLB on the first list, I think getting found is right up there with hydration & shelter.

For a two way radio, the primary one to consider is an aviation band unit. Know the local center (traffic control) frequency and you are seldom out of range of an airliner for more than a few minutes in the continental US. I carry one for work and have checked it in the deep wilderness over much of the US. Only a problem in Northern Canada and Alaska. I put it far behind a PLB (plus it is larger and heavier) but I carried one long before the PLB was around.

One item I take out is the backup compass. I carry one for work (a Brunton Pocket Transit) and can use lots of other things (including my watch) to find direction. I also know that if I need a backup compass I probably should be staying put and waiting for rescue :-(.

The best,

JerryF