Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I have friends allergic to various plants, so they always bring anti-histamines. On a trip to "mosquito hell country", we found out the hard way that having sufficient number of mosquito stings will cause your body to react to those stings: They swell and become quite more painful than usual, and you may even have "fewer shivering". For the most unlucky guys we're talking several hundred stings per person... First they washed off all mosquito repellent with an involuntary swim in the river, then they spent an hour in bug infested vegetation fixing their canoe... Luckily, one of them figured this was quite similar to his allergic reaction to whatever plant he's sensitive to, and administered some anti-histamine. Quite effective.

Anti-histamine is also great for preventing or at least lessen hangovers, which is one of those things allergic people usually learn pretty quick.

I have actually noticed this effect too. After a LOT of mosquito bites, I sometimes feel a little 'jiggy'. This is rare because I take precautions against bug bites. I have built up some immunity to the histamine effects of bites and stings from a lifetime of being in the northwoods, but my DW who I imported from points south, is not so lucky.