Agreed. On your person carry is very important. When you leave camp for that quick photo ramble leaving your pack behind, whatcha gonna do when you twist an ankle when you're down by a rushing (noisy) stream in dense stream side willows?

Just for fun, I'll detail my "on person" carry below.

My list is directed toward the average hiker who typically hasn't given a lot of thought to preparedness ("I've got a sandwich, a bottle of water, and a camera. What else could I possibly need?"). Rather than giving them an overwhelming amount of info, I'm giving them the standard Ten Essentials, plus my successive list of supplements. I'll probably even say that everyone must carry the standard 10, should carry the next 10, and ought to consider the following 10 after that. I probably won't specify where said items should be carried. They'll pick that up over time if they hike with me much. Hope my approach is making sense.

You'll also notice my "second 10" are all relatively small, inexpensive items or are items you may already have on hand (e.g. watch, prescription meds). I'm aiming for maximum bang for the buck in an acceptably small package.

HJ

Typically on my person:
Pockets
-Lighter (in small Altoids tin)
-Chapstick
-Pen
-Paper
-SAK
-CRKT folder
-Cordage, 6 feet (approx)
-Bandana

Belt
-Cell phone

Neck chain
-Small compass
-ID (military "dog tags")
-P38 can opener
-Whistle

Other
-Watch (time, altimeter, barometer, & compass functions)