Originally Posted By: Lono
Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.
Very well said.

...it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.
Me neither. Leaving off fishing and snare wire is a conscious decision on my part based on my priorites: thermal regulation, hydration, and signalling.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...
lol. I actually had something like that happen. I was recovering from a broken leg so had taken everything possible out of my pack -- including my customary Ace bandages. On my hike, I encountered two rather attractive women, one of who had twisted her ankle. I felt like a complete idiot.

I'm keeping my P38 by golly; can bearing Norweigian women beware!

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit
Yeah, I carry extra 4x4's, roll gauze, triangular bandages, etc. You get a good bleeder, one 4x4 and a couple of 3x3's ain't gonna cut it. You've got to pile that stuff on there. The perscription meds thing (where I'm recommending a 3 day supply) I rarely see on lists, but if you take heart meds or something like that, it could be fatal if you're delayed. Not an area to be neglected.

HJ