Heck, any list (starting from the Essentials) is good as long as you use it, or keep your pack always packed with it. Keep a print out handy, and check things off before you leave. Whittle or add to it here and there for your trip and local terrain, its all good.

I can say that I dropped the fishing gear and trap lines years ago, except what's provided in the Ritter PSK - never had a cause to go fishing or trap hunting while out. If I was really out in the boondocks and afraid for my life it might help keep my mind off things to set some lines, but probably the fish and rabbits would still emerge unscathed. No, I'm no Cody Lundin / Bear Gryllis.

And I'd think of losing the P38 but its so small and just sits on a string around my neck next to my whistle, and I know that the first outing I leave it out, I'll stumble across the beautiful Norwegian female hiker with the pouting upper lip, struggling to open her can of lutefisk. We all gotta dream...

The one part of my kit that has grown over time is the First Aid Kit - after the last WFA refresh I decided to add about 12 feet of webbing to my pack to use in building leg or arm immobilization, it worked so well over paracord (which once did double duty, but is now strictly for hanging bear bags), and the webbing was just sitting there at REI the next time I stopped by - a few dollars and about 6 oz, what the hell, I've lost over 75 lbs so far, carrying new things in my pack is all gravy. Also my general First Aid grows with new tools, I'm packing more gauze because I bought some PriMed gauze that is compacted very small, its easy enough to carry 2 or 3 where I used to carry one. My general philosophy is to carry the same FAK on dayhikes as on 2-3 day hikes, the only expansion is for real group hikes, like for the Scouts I won't skimp on first aid - witness a day hike up a few weeks ago, guy slipped and gashed his leg, bleeding profusely. His buddy had a first aid kit, with no blood stopper bigger than a bandaid. God bless the ultralight philosophy. Granted, they were preparing to improvise and cut up a t-shirt, but they were happier still for me to pull out my reasonably compact FAK and pull out some gauze and 4x4s which handled the blood flow, and bandaged them up. 99% of my FAK is for the other hiker, not so much me. Coming across a downed hiker with just a handful of bandaids is about the stupidest feeling in the world.