Hi, Rich,

Thanks for your interesting thoughts.
Originally Posted By: Richlacal
What,No Doug Ritter PSK?
Recall my target audience:
Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim
My target is hikers in general, not just those who are interested in preparedness.
Telling the average person who isn't on a forum like this that they need a Ritter PSK is going to be a tough sell. My idea is to have people put together their own kit that would have at least the top ten items on my list or better still the top twenty.

Wire,You must have Wire,Emergency or Not!
Well, perhaps so, but again convincing a typical hiker that he needs to carry snare wire is going to be a tough sell. In general, I'm interested in a typical hiking emergency scenario where things frequently play out within 72 hours. I'm not thinking of longer term survival where snares would be quite useful.

Fishing kit should be a Top 1 Priority,there are lakes, streams, ponds thruout So.Cal.,Not to mention the Largest Pond, this side of the planet,Pacific Ocean!
Wow, that's great! Please tell me the specific hiking trails that you're talking about. I'd really like to hike there. In my hiking travels in the San Gabriel Mountains, San Bernardino Mtns, San Jacinto Mtns, etc. I encounter very few places where fishing is feasible in the backcountry. Of course there are fish available in tourist places like Big Bear Lake, but I generally like to get away from the crowds and roads.

HJ