"Sometimes the only legal exercise target is the vending machine by the loading dock because everyone is afraid of potentially interfering with normal operations."

Actually drills involving the receiving/loading dock/ mail centers are good ideas- these areas are frequently "passed through" in workplace violence incidents. Shipping companies, vendors coming and going, employees passing through the area on the way to fastest outside smoking area. Goblins and other "disgruntled"s prefer the less restricted areas than coming through the front door reception.

And from a timing standpoint, shift change is one of the higher vulnerability timeframes.

The shooting this morning in Albuquerque first 911 call in was at 9:26AM- It is being described as an ex boyfriend relationship and something tells me that a Monday morning shooter works themselves up over a weekend and strikes early in the day.

So that we don't get too far off the "urban preparedness" theme, what can you do to protect yourself if a "pitched gun-battle" starts breaking out over in accounting? :-)