Quote:
I myself prefer earth tones in both my gear and clothing choices. I am also of the opinion that good civilian gear is of much higher quality then the mil surplus variety.

Well said.

If the point is to blend and avoid standing out it would be well to contemplate your surroundings instead of assuming that looking like a bush, or stretch of desert, will allow you to disappear.

Most of us live in urban or suburban areas and our clothing should align with what is common in that area. Jeans, tee shirts and synthetic jackets are all good. OD green M-65 cotton jackets are so common that they don't even qualify as military in many minds. OD green, dull grays and browns blend well without looking like your trying to get away with something.

Rural areas feature a lot of jeans and Carhart canvas outerwear in subdued colors that blends both with the local population and the natural surroundings.

I think you are right that selecting clothing and equipment in simple earth tones is about 80% as effective as any camouflage pattern while blending seamlessly with the local population.