Military gear is often pretty mediocre performance wise. As others have mentioned it is made to be adequate, and to be abused by semi-trained teenagers under long term field conditions.

The military does not care a whole lot if the stuff lasts all that long as most of it is expected to be replaced regularly.

That being said, it is often available at very low prices, making it attractive even if it is not the best available. Sometimes low cost is a good quality.

There are military issue gear that are about as good as it gets though. The issue compass comes to mind. But, most of us will do fine with something that costs 1/3 what that piece of gear costs.

I like paracord too. It's about as good of a utility cord as you are going to find. Lightweight, cheap, and strong. And not real prone to rotting when its damp. What more could you ask for?

There are a lot of vets who have experience with issue gear and are comfortable with its uses and limitations, and often got it in exchange for a few years of their life. So it is understandable why they continue to use it.

I have never quite understood the fascination with military gear some people have. But I have some surplus stuff. My car kit is packed in a surplus Austrian pack. It's near indestructible and I can't tell you how long it has set in the back of my Jeep. I think it was like $3. It's bigger than it needs to be, and heavier, but I don't expect to be hiking any really long distance with that bag on my back.

Bob