What I meant by eye color is that when you look someone in the eye, that's all the info you are really going to get. A constant reminder of eye color is a useless info stream. I do not differentiate in this sense between looking a bear in the eyes and looking a mad pit bull or a hooded mugger in the eyes. I would rather watch the pit bull's ears, back and legs and the mugger's stance and especially hands. The eyes tell you nothing and can only be understood as a challenge to the dominance of the threatening animal. In a more specific sense, the more closely related to the threatening animal I am, I feel the greater the challenge to dominance via eye contact. It's a subconscious thing. Humans most especially, then apes, primates, other mammals, on down the list until eye contact means practically nothing, such as with birds and reptiles. There are many ways to look at it.

We are not really in disagreement as to what to do, only perhaps the why to do it. I think the 'what' is much more important when it comes right down to a do or die situation than is the 'why'. The 'why' is really only for nerds who have nothing better to do than analyze these sorts of things so they can best advise the general public.