I have a complete set of the military equivalent of camping gear, minus tent and stove, but I only use it whenever I'm told it is my duty to do so. Not because it is bad, but because my civilian alternatives are just as good or better in functionality, but has much less volume and weight. And my civilian gear is by no means in the ultralight category. I know for certain there are newer and better military versions than the old stuff I have lying around.

For my use, I see no need for lots and lots of molle webbing, pouches and the like. I like my gear inside my pack, thank you very much, with some exceptions, like my GPS and map case.

I think it is a good idea to shy away from gear that screams "GUN!". Doesn't matter if you have a gun or not, the impression will draw attention of the kind you don't like, both from representatives of the law and the not so nice kind of people. My view is that weapons are either in plain view or very discretely hidden.

I've also heard that having backpacks, clothes and bags with camo colors will cause you all kind of trouble in certain Latin Amerika and African countries. Not so surprising if you read up a bit of their latest 50 years of history, they have very good reasons to be paranoid about people traveling around with "military" equipment.

Edited by MostlyHarmless (07/01/10 08:29 PM)