Quote:
...or you could expose the container to the radiation from a low yield nuclear device...with all due respect, and while I enjoy listening to the agonal screams of creatively killed bacteria as much as the next fellow, I spend most of my life eating and drinking out of vessels that have been adequately cleansed with warm soapy water, and seem none the worse for wear. The extreme sterilization methods may pose more hazard to the user's health than do the microbes in the bottle.

I'm glad I didn't mention the Nitric Acid or the Iodine solution. The alkali solution such as Caustic soda is much more readily available and is a useful household chemical.

http://www.totalcleaningsupplies.co.uk/caustic-soda-granules---500g-199-p.asp

Caustic soda is no more extreme than using Bleach and is probably safer due to possible reaction with other chemicals that could free Chlorine gas (now that is pretty toxic).

The Steripen is also a quick and simple method of killing bugs rather than a chemical solution and would be a very safe way of disinfecting a water bottle or Vacuum flask without causing any chemical or corrosive actions on the Stainless steel. There is no need for radionuclide energy decontamination as this could prove to be quite dangerous and counter productive especially if your water bottle is contaminated with the Andromeda Strain