I like the idea of the 'waist pack' and have a couple but, like my two, they are often set-up to also carry a firearm - due to this factor, and that most folks in law enforcement / security think "gun" when ever they see one makes them a problem.

I have a medium size waist/belt pouch that seems to solve that problem and has two inside sections and a pouch on the outside. It too is set up for a firearm but sure isn't known for it and looks 'harmless' to 98% of folks out there. I can put my .38 in there or a small automatic (.380 or a 9MM) along with some essential items and it isn't noticeable to any degree. If going into a place where you can't carry weapons it is still very useful and can carry a lot of stuff that would be ok even if you can't have a gun, knife or whatever.

Here's an example of what I am currently using: http://www.uncle-mikes.com/products/gun_pak_pouch.html Mine is an older type that isn't as big but, you get the idea. the two sections inside are nice as you can get out your phone, keys or whatever and not expose the "good stuff" in the section behind it even though it's easily accessible.