Good show MoBob. I am always glad to see people step up and do something.
Responding is one of the hardest things to teach first responders to do.

Sometimes all you should do is make the person as comfortable as possible and keep an eye on them until help arrives.
Sometimes they need to be placed in recovery position.
Once in a while you will need some serious first aid skills, but fortunately those times are not as common as many of us expect.

I have helped epileptics and diabetics a few times.
I found the first aid and ambulance crews to be very good.

My biggest problems were with people who assumed the person displaying odd behaviour or going into seizures was either insane, drunk or on drugs.
I have seen the same thing happen with cases of hypothermia.

I always find such responses a bit troubling, especially when the person is showing clear signs of distress.

In some of the cases the people suffering were pretty well off looking, and in some cases they looked like homeless people.
It made only a slight difference in how crews reacted, and that was mostly in the questions they asked.

If you think they are diabetic I have heard it suggested that you can give them sugar because it might help and won't do harm.
Not insulin, though you can help them take it if they have it you can not administer it.
I have heard the same thing about giving 1/2 an aspirin to suspected heart attacks.

Edited by chickenlittle (06/19/10 12:13 AM)