An asset will be either more valuable or less valuable during a SHTF situation. The more valuable stuff will be good for bartering. When the time comes, you're either right or wrong.

By the way, why is it that whenever anything firearms-related is mentioned on this site, there are always a few (anti-gun) people who have to start talking about an apocalypse, zombies and whatnot? It's strange and annoying. From what I've seen, gun owners on this site have never gone anywhere in that direction. If they have, then post a link to a thread where gun owners here were talking about unusual apocalyptic scenarios. If you can't post a link, then just stop going there because it's left field territory. Ignorantly assuming that all gun owners are like David Koresh only makes you look small and narrow-minded.

I welcome anybody here to become part of the wonderful gun owner community and learn something. I became a gun owner five years ago in my mid-thirties. I've learned quite a bit since then. My education in the gun owner community has been just as valuable as my education for becoming a patent lawyer and a real estate broker. Every gun owner I know personally in real life understands how firearms are useful self-defense tools, valuable hunting devices and just fun to shoot. Gun owners are some of the most logical, most level-headed, most capable people I know. Having said all that, if all you can think about are the apocalypse and zombies when it comes to firearms, then I retract my welcome mat because we're all better off if you kindly leave the guns for us grown-ups.