Originally Posted By: hikermor
[
What I was trying to say is that backpacking is an exercise in minimalism in which you learn what is truly important and what is unnecessary and simply extra weight. A backpacker is comfortable with far less because what is carried is truly essential gear.

I'd quickly discover that what is truly important is my car. And backpackers may be comfortable with far less because they're willing to suffer deprivation for the adventure, isolation and views.

I've had this discussion with a few AT thru-hikers who I've given lifts to from the wayside to the lodge restaurant. Their packs rode nicely on my Yakima Loadwarrior.

;-)

I get what you're saying. It's all relative. Car camping is minimalist compared to being at home. Backpacking is more minimal.

Within backpacking, there's subdivisions between "super-light" backpackers and those who prefer the amenities that a 40 lb pack allows. Some want to carry the whole toothbrush, others just the bristles. Tent or just a tarp? Spork? Or separate spoon and fork? Extreme minimalism is taking nothing but the clothes on your back into the woods. No thanks.

Within car camping, there's the differences between tenting and RVers. And within RV-ing there's us teardroppers at one end of the spectrum and the enormous motor coaches at the other. The biggest divide is between those with noisy generators and those without. The latter would like to shoot the former. It's amusing on camping forums to witness discussions of what constitutes real camping.