Originally Posted By: Krista
Hi everyone! So, I'm spending a romantic afternoon with the dear husband working on our BOBs. smile Looking at items that we need to add, we think we need some topographical maps.

We've looked on several websites and at several different options. I told him about you marvelous and helpful individuals, and he said well ask them! smile

Here's what we're looking for in a topo:

~1:50,000 scale (ideally)
~As portable as possible (considering the scale we want)
~Covers our entire state (not just a small portion, which is something we're seeing in a lot of the topos we've looked at).

So far the ones we have found are digital (which is impractical in a no-power situation). If not digital, they are 1:500,000 scale, which seems harder to read.

So, what kinds of topos do you guys use? Any advice on choosing? And please, don't hesitate to provide links!! smile

PS- Here's something like what we are thinking of: Topo Atlas

Krista ... we've got that same NC atlas that we use when we camp/hike all around table rock, tryon, black mtn, etc. It works just fine.

If you go the software route and decide to print your own be sure to print to waterproof paper. I like the rite anywhere brand and it is not that expensive.