Originally Posted By: hikermor
If I may add to an interesting and insightful post, I would comment that the next step from car camping would be to venture into overnight trips and backpacking, where you face definite weight constraints. Realistically, for most normal mortals, forty pounds is the heaviest weight one can manage well. Living safely and comfortably, as well as maintaining mobility, within that constraint is both a physical and mental challenge.

The advantage is that you have several options in an emergency situation that are not workable for the non-backpacker. And you will be in better physical condition. You also get to visit some pretty nice places that the general public never views.

Backpacking gets down to the real fundamentals, and you develop a sense of what you, individually, find indispensable and what is superfluous.

That might be true if one was separated from their vehicle. While in earlier year I’ve gone on extended horse packing trips and actually know something about the back country and living off of what you take in. However, the world has changed and women also have to worry about their own safety more today than 20 or 30 years ago. Today, I want either numbers or the safety of a vehicle or trailer with locked doors.

I’ve taken great pains to make-sure that my vehicle is stocked at all times and there are packed bags and plastic crates also at the ready for extended trips outside of my local area with different gear for either the destination or the season. My dogs also have provisions in the vehicle including food for 3 days, and more pre-packed gear minus the additional food for extended trips.

With that in mind, I’d be very hesitant to set off on foot minus my vehicle unless I knew the area and exactly where I was going. As my vehicle would have far more provisions than I, and even my two dogs with backpacks could possibly carry, as well as some protection from exposure and the other elements that might be out there, especially for women. Plus in a search and rescue operation any vehicle is easier to spot for those searching.

For instance, look at the Kim family tragedy in the Southern Oregon mountains a few years back. He died only because he set out on foot! Plus at all times, even going the 4 miles to the grocery store my vehicle is stocked much better than that family was, and for a trip through the mountains in the winter it would be really stocked. In most cases a person, especially a woman, is far better off staying with a well stocked vehicle, at least in my opinion.

Regarding skills that can be done with car camping or heck I practice fire building techniques on my acreage with either bonfires on the beach or just cleaning up fields after the winter storms. So can I really build a fire with what I carry with me on day hikes--yes--and even when it's pouring down rain. I'm somewhat doubtful that I could actually eat from the fishing kit--in a pill bottle--but let's face it most succumb from either injury, exposure or dehydration issues. While I agree that we all should actually practice fundamental survival skills it can be done without backpacking.