I'm not jumping anyone for what they'd do in a similar situation whether their answer is to cut the lines or not. It's absolutely a personal decision.

Regarding the fluidity of morals: I only have my morals and they're not subject to circumstance. I can either choose to follow the moral guidelines I've chosen or break them. Right now, I can say without a doubt that putting an innocent at risk to save my own bacon is against my moral code. I could later chose to break my moral code in a different circumstance, and I might even try to convince myself that it is justified, but either way they're not fluid.

My worry in this situation is still that I may cause the death of another if I chose to cut the power to a community.

Respirators and a multitude of other lifesaving pieces of equipment may be run by batteries or even by hand, I'll trust others on that. I don't have any personal knowledge of the equipment.

However, there are still many ways to die during a power outage.

Traffic lights usually go out the second the power is cut, and I've seen horrible accidents at traffic lights that are dark due to power outages.

Last year in this area there were a few fatalities from people who improperly used generators when the power went out due to ice storms.

It could be said that it was the operator's fault for misusing the equipment, but there is always the chance that they could have corrected the issue given time.

I know what I use electricity for and that I could do without it, most likely, indefinitely. My main worry is that in this day and age I don't know other people are using it for and I'm not willing to assume that they all can survive without it in remote areas.