Originally Posted By: Richlacal
I think Barter will always be practical,Rich/poor/otherwise.You don't have to have material to barter.Wits,info,intel,labor,even humor would be welcomed.Everybody has something to exchange!Think of the old tale,Stone soup.Now that's a fine piece of Bartering during Hard Times!

Actually the story of 'Stone soup' is a object lesson in community cooperation and collectivism. The stone adds nothing other than an excuse for people to contribute hoarded food stocks.

Originally Posted By: ireckon
I have extra ammo, but it's not purely for barter. I can use some and then replace it. It's small and can serve as currency in whatever amount is right. Plus, the people that will want ammo are likely to have stock piled something of value that I may want, like maybe fuel, a generator, frozen meat, fishing supplies or whatever. That's the beauty of stock piling ammo.

It is possible that other people and groups might have other things stockpiled. But it has to be noted that when barter comes up on survival, preparation and survivalist boards invariably one of the first thing mentioned for barter, and the one thing most write about having in quantity, is ammunition.

If everyone has ammunition, and it is not being consumed very rapidly, its value might be quite low.