Originally Posted By: Teslinhiker
Originally Posted By: MostlyHarmless
I see a lot of people using air mattresses for car camping in the summer. In less than optimal summer temperature, an air mattress will conduct heat away from your body and to the surrounding air. If you or someone in your family wants an air mattress then put a groundsheet ON TOP of the air mattress to insulate yourself from the cold air mattress.

A sleeping pad such as a Zotefoams Evazote (they have a few different styles/ other models) under the mattress is very effective in stopping the cold ground from sucking away your body heat. We use this method whenever we overnight hike in cooler and cold weather well down below zero.

Good, whatever works. But please be informed that you are ignoring one source of heat loss: From the air mattress to the free air. Evidently this heat transport was not effective enough to prove a problem for you on your trip.

It was a problem for me, both on my previous "America style" car camping trip and before that sleeping in a friends living room with an open window. The cool draft from the window zapped the heat right out of my air mattress. A thick wool blanket under me, tucked under the lining (sheet) worked well for insulating me from the rather cool air mattress. Of course, closing the window was not considered an option - I like a breeze of cool air when I'm sleeping.

That's why I recommend sleeping pads on top of the air mattress, not the other way around.