Originally Posted By: Jesselp

See this article for photographs of a Smart Car that a friend of mine was driving when he was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle.

LI Herald: Crash at Atlantic Beach Bridge

I submit that had he been riding a motorcycle, he would have been in MUCH worse shape.

Any estimate on the speeds involved in that collision?

I'm not familiar with that car but from that pic I'd say that was *very* close to unsurvivable - the crumple area is completely gone and everything significantly pushed back into the passenger area. I hope he can walk again.

Cars have made huge improvements in the last 25 years but crumple zones still need space to crumple into, space the passengers do not occupy. A motorcycle is basically a vehicle where your jacket is the crumple zone - uh oh.

Originally Posted By: Am_Fear_Liath_Mor

The Tata Nano has apparently passed the current European front and side impact standard crash tests at the MIRA test facility.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/241500/

It sure took a lot of damage aft of the firewall and in one pic partially collapsed on the front passenger. It may have passed but it's not impressive. To put it another way: if that's a pass, what does it take for a car in 2010 to fail?

From the side-impact pic it appears there is no intrusion protection in the door?

Rather than asking "would you drive one?" a more interesting question might be "would you buy one for your wife to drive the kids to school etc?"