Thanks for the responses.

I am planning on buying a shotgun for home defense. In the event of a catastrophe, I also would not want to leave my shelter but if I had to leave (the structure catches fire, the area is deemed unsafe, floods etc.) I would want to bring it with me.

I live in NY so, unfortunately, handgun anything is out of the question for me. frown I'm really looking at this as a self-defense tool so I want something durable, reliable and economical (I actually am looking at Mossbergs).

Believe me, I'm not looking at a natural disaster as a chance to play urban cowboy. And I work in healthcare so my initial impulse is to be helpful. However, I also know that you just can't through to some people and I'd like to be able to defend my wife and I to the best of my ability.

I realize the odds of actually needing a weapon are slim but, again, I wouldn't want to leave it behind either if we had to bug out.

It hadn't even crossed my mind that they would make you "check your gun at the door". Thank you for making me aware of that.

It seems that if I want to keep my gun, it would be best if folks didn't even know it was there. Thanks!