With respect, firearms arent specifically taboo-provided politics stay out of it, and it applies to the situation. There are several other firearms-related threads. As long as it stays as a mature discussion, I dont think it would be an issue.
Lets look at Katrina. My unit was deployed down there immediately after the flooding, to assist with rescue & recovery operations (national guard infantry unit). I was already out, but most of the unit going down there, I knew the soldiers quite well. The ROE down there was to disarm civilians-but, not forcibly. In other words, ask for thier weapons. If they refuse, distance yourself. They didnt confiscate any while they were down there. The only trouble they ever ran into were with other government agencies, who were also armed.
The lesson to take away from Katrina is, simply dont advertise. Not because you would be a potential victim of another person-but because, in all liklihood, some government agency will attempt to disarm you. And, you will never see your firearms again, most likely.
For travelling, I would suggest something a little more travel friendly-a pistol. LEGALLY carrying one, concealed, is a lot easier to hide and, if necessary, deploy, than a shotgun. Remember; if the need arises for you to need one, chances are someone already has one pointed at you. A weapon slung on your shoulder is largely useless in a self defense situation.