Originally Posted By: ireckon
Originally Posted By: roberttheiii
I just hope no one who says they wouldn't risk death in this rides a motorcycle... wink

Good point, but at least motorcyclists in California are required to wear a helmet. Many riders go further with padded leather and spine protection.

A person driving this go-cart would be driving around with shorts, flip-flops and a tank top. Seriously, the thing would be a health hazard in California. I have had the opportunity to buy a Smart Car. However, I have not heard a believable argument of how a Smart Car without a helmet is safer than a motorcycle with a helmet. So, I'm getting my motorcycle license soon.

See this article for photographs of a Smart Car that a friend of mine was driving when he was involved in a head-on collision with another vehicle. The roof was removed by firefighters during my friend's extrication from the Smart Car, prior to his helicopter evacuation to a trauma center.

LI Herald: Crash at Atlantic Beach Bridge

I know the folks who responded to this accident, and they tell me they were amazed at how well the little car protected its occupant. I submit that had he been riding a motorcycle, he would have been in MUCH worse shape.

(I have nothing against motorcycles - indeed I enjoy riding them. Nor will I speculate as to whether he could have avoided the accident in a more maneuverable vehicle - though I doubt it.)

Edited by Jesselp (05/20/10 07:51 PM)
Edit Reason: Spelling