My wonderful wife got me the Nook last month and I've really liked it so far. The wifi works on any 'open' network or one you know a password too, such as my home network. I've done book purchases sitting at home with just the wifi and it seems just as fast (less than a minute) as when I am in the local B&N store.

The browser they just put out in the new update is lame... I can't see using it for anything major as it is just to clunky and restricted but it is a 'nice to have'. I do like the new games - chess is nice and the general response it has now seems to be better. I have loaded a bunch of PDF manuals, some free fiction in PDF, some other epub books from several on-line sources and an so far very happy with my choice. B&N also seems to be supporting the device as I have received a couple of totally free books from them just because I have the Nook and even got a free cookie one day with an on-line Nook coupon while in the store.

I also like how it acts as an external drive when you connect it to your computer (I've got both Mac and Windows units) thus allowing you to also store any file you want on it - can't read anything but the 'right' formats but the file is still there and can be carried around... nice bonus for my thinking.

Paul -