Interesting thread. Doing SAR, I was impressed at how different skills and strategies interplayed in achieving a successful outcome, often demonstrating the wisdom of Ecclesiastes -There is a time and place for all things.

There were situations where blinding speed and raw physical ability were required. There were times when pausing and careful observation were needed. Sometimes, it was both, by different elements of the operation, in communication and acting in concert.

I was also impressed how often experience and knowledge enabled me to perform as well or better than people half my age who were in better raw condition. I knew what to expect and I was familiar with the fatigue that developed about 3 AM on an allnighter. I knew I could deal with it. Younger folks were experiencing these joys for the first time.

Same thing with survival. Sometimes you should hike all night to reach safety, and sometimes you should stop before night and prepare a secure bivouac There is a sort of yin/yang connection between rescue and survival when you think about it.

Diversity is good. A mix of young and old, new and experienced, knowledge and enthusiasm, combined and led properly, is often the best way to achieve a good result. Both survival and SAR are, or should be, team efforts.

Each activity is a three legged stool. Gear is important, but so are mental aspects (knowledge and attitude), as well as physical conditioning. All three interact to lead to a successful outcome. Good knowledge and the right attitude can often compensate for deficiencies in physical abilities and shortcomings in gear, so, yes, the mind is the most important single aspect. But isn't that true in most of life's arenas?