We could knitpick the concepts to death providing point and counterpoint on an example if you like.

I used to get up and go to work at a hard labor job before the morning paper came and there are a lot of people that do the same. I also worked a third shift at another job and didn't get the paper until almost noon.

You assume that one of the people didn't get the job because they were underdressed or not chipper enough. They were equally qualified. Perhaps one of the applicants was the same color as the employer and that made the decision as to whether they were hired or not.

As for the concept that "As long as you believe that whatever is holding you back is out of your hands you will be correct." It's nice to apply a rule of thumb to concepts, but it doesn't always make them true. I'd like to run the Boston Marathon in 2 hours and 15 minutes, and no matter whether I believe I can or not, my physiology says it isn't going to happen.

You believe the reason for the majority of the cases of people remaining in poverty is choice, I don't. Having been there 3 different times in my life, from what I've seen I disagree. Your experiences lead you to believe something different from mine.

I think it's safe to say that we're not going to agree on this subject.