I'm already carrying as close to my dream set-up as is currently available:

1) multi-tool: I'm carrying a Leatherman Wave. It is the closest to the ideal set of tools to suit my needs. If it also had an awl and tweezers, it would be perfect. I'm still not ready to give up on modifying it, myself. It's not made of the best metal, and doesn't have the best designed tools, but the right tool set is more important to me, so it will have to do.

2) small locking folder: I prefer a small fixed blade. Depending on the situation, I either carry my Busse Pepper Shaker (2.5 inch blade), or my Busse INFI Bandicoot (4 inch blade)

3) lighter (or other spark/flame producing implement): The lighter I carry can be seen, here:

http://www.budkww.com/partsview.asp?acti...p;amp;catpos=10

It takes lighter fluid (or gas, methanol, whatever), so it works better than butane lighters in extreme cold, or high altitude. It's the only lighter-fluid lighter I know of that simply doesn't leak at all. Unlike most lighters of any type, it is totally waterproof. And, even if I completely run out of lighter fluid, it still has a very usable small ferro rod built into it. It's cheap, too!

I also carry a Swedish Firesteel.

4) small LED flashlight: Swiss Light/Free Light III. Solar powered, so that it'll always be charged, and so that I'll be able to continue to use it if I need it over a multiple day situation. waterproof, shock resistant. Very nifty.

I also carry a lot of other EDC gear in my pocket survivial kit.

--Mike