If you want to know about EMP, here's one source:
http://www.empcommission.org/

I've never heard of the EMP commission, so I don't even know if it's real. I looked over the executive summary, and it seems reasonable enough.

The issue with EMP remains that its _very_ widely spread, so the value of having a personal Faraday Cage escapes me - if there's an EMP pulse, nothing is going to work within some scores or hundreds of miles of the burst, so having my personal computer safe doesn't seem to help me when all the electricity in my state is wiped out and nobody's cars will run. Shrug - to each his own.

Among the scary topics in the report: the power grid, telecommunications, banking and business, fuel and energy, transportation, food, water, emergency services. Lots of details on the Starfish burst, pulses, and more that I didn't read but that people will find fascinating. There's also a link to the full report.

Setting off a nuclear bomb is a difficult task. Setting off an aerial burst above the US at heights sufficient to do significant damage is also (and separately) difficult. My instinct is that it's not likely to happen any time soon, that it is in fact unlikely to happen, and that the better answer than personal Faraday Cages is fixing the infrastructure to withstand EMP, which the commission says is feasible. Mileage varies, the views outside my window are not your views.