Quote:
By the way, Art, your post reads like a general argument against keeping any kind of car kit, or maybe I read that wrongly.

I have, and often recommend, a car kit so I'm not against them. But, as with all things, a car kit, in my case a truck kit, has issues of its own. It can be stolen, the temperature extremes take a toll, and if its behind you and not tied down when you stop fast your kit tries to kill you. I used to carry several heavy toolboxes in a small car and one day I stopped really fast to keep from hitting a kid on a bike. Those tool boxes ended up on the dash and hood. Something of a fluke that I wasn't brained with one of them.

I had recently picked up a carpet that was being tossed out by someone and stuffed it in the hatchback behind the drivers seat. Being light and hard up against the back of the seat when I stopped it didn't do much. The toolbox that I had shifted to the right just barely missed my right shoulder and went half way through the windshield. Had it been where it usually rode my head would have been driven through the glass by the toolbox while my body was held back by the steering wheel. Would have ruined my whole day.

As it was the glass replacement is, by law, always covered so they spent $400 putting a new windshield into a $500 car and I flogged it like a rented mule for another year. It was a car so ugly that people would get out of its way for fear some of the ugly would rub off. I had a love/hate relationship with that car.