Originally Posted By: oldsoldier

Oh, there was a service message from our governor advising people NOT to drink boiling water-to wait until it cools down. Honestly, a message like that kinda scares me-first, that there are people out there that dont equate boiling water to being hot. Second, and the scarier of the two-that the local government is assuming people arent bright enough NOT to drink boiling water. But, I digress.

Nice post, Oldsoldier. I live in Western MA so we weren't impacted at all, but on NECN I did see a lot of people standing in line for water and the cops in Belmont checking IDs to make sure, I don't know, the people in Newton didn't steal their Poland Springs. Agree that the WMRA has done a solid job.

The only thing I might quibble with is your assumption that the let-the-boiling-water-cool warning had to do with fear that all these dumbies would burn their tongues drinking boiling water. I believe what it had to do with was a pretty standard procedure for making sure that all the pathogens in the h2o are dead. By boiling for a minute and taking it off the heat, and letting it cool, you are using all the reserve heat to keep on killing. It's true, nobody with the state really explained why you should let it cool but I don't think it was driven by an assumption that most people are stupid.

By the way, boiling for 1 minute and letting it cool, obviously saves a lot of energy compared to boiling it for five or ten (as some advice suggests).