Quote:
Also remember that when powering a motor from an inveter you need to be sure its a true sine wave and sized big enough for the startup current (could be 10x) so you need a way more expensive inverter.

Thats why I have a WAECO SinePower MSP352 300W Inverter.

http://www.outdoorgb.com/p/WAECO_SinePow...amp;country=GBR

One of the best features of the Waeco Sinepower inverters is that they can be remotely switched on and off for control purposes (i.e. external thermostats with bang bang or hysteresis temperature control) for intermittent motor loads such as refrigerators and freezers without having the inverter losses when the refrigerant motor is not energised.

The 90% efficiency and the 700W peak load capability is another bonus and shouldn't present a problem for high efficiency refrigerators with motor loads less than 75-100W (continous).

DC refrigerators are certainly much more expensive and in certain circumstances with very high thermal efficiency models, can just be run with a solar panel even without a battery energy source or at least a much smaller one due to the lack of inverter losses. You have to weigh up the pros and the cons though, which are mostly dictated by how much and how reliable the solar irradiation is available and where the DC refrigerator is to be located within a domestic premises i.e pure thermal hysteresis control.

Edited by Am_Fear_Liath_Mor (05/03/10 06:02 PM)