Originally Posted By: aztecb
I just bought a 1975 15 Ft. Skeeter. This is my first boat. My family is concerned I may fall overboard. Probably because I am 70 years of age and disabled.

But I don't want to just fade away at home. My health has been poorly since I retired. But now I feel better and it's go now or never. I promised my family to wear a PFD and buy a boarding ladder for the boat to use in an emergency.

I will try to have someone go fishing with me. But it will not always be possible. Truth is, I will be alone most of the time. I am not fool hardy however. I am just a guy that wants to go fishing on Lake Fork Texas. It's only five mile from home (Quitman) and it should be great fun.

I said all of that to ask you this: What ladder can I buy that will enable me to self rescue in the event I do fall over board? I have looked online and there are so many ladders saying "buy me" I am confused and don't know enough to exercise good judgement in my selection.
I would be grateful for your input.
Thank you ,
aztecb

I have spent a lot of time on the water and even though I am no expert, I have a little advice. Be sure you have been trained in boat and water safety by your state DNR, and that you know how to operate every system on the boat to include loading and unloading at the ramp. You should have a few basic tools with you, and bring a cell phone in a waterproof pouch in case your motor dies on the other side of the lake. If you fall in, it is very difficult to drag yourself up on a ladder even in shallow water, and you could end up just hanging on it, that is assuming you can even get to it. Without fail, use a tether and kill switch as mentioned above by MostlyHarmless, and spend some money on a high quality life vest which you NEVER take off. This could save your life if you fall in. You should have someone with you, but it's sometimes difficult to do. Is there a rod and gun club you could join? You will have to be extraordinarily cautious of you choose to go out alone. And a reminder that you will fry on the water in minutes if you don't cover your head, arms, and legs.