A few random thoughts (feel free to disagree):

First, Dietz lanterns are *excellent*. Unlike the cheap knockoffs, they are built to work, and to last. You will not regret buying one. I bought two on a Y2K closeout; I should have bought five more.

Second, liquid paraffin may in theory clog wicks. (I believe it's sold here as "odourless kerosene" at a premium price; at cold temperatures I have actually seen it turn into a solid.) But that's no reason to use it. Wicks are cheap and easily replaced. Serious outdoor outfitters around here sell flat wicking my the yard (metre actually). So there's no reason not to keep this fuel and use it. In most situations it will burn well enough to do the job. And if you have to remove wicks because they appear to be clogged up, just soak them in the paint thinner. Voila! Don't make it more complex than it needs to be.

Third, it's worth remembering that "kerosene" is a cocktail of various petro-products which add up to an accepted range of characteristics. In a genuine emergency, I wouldn't hesitate to test a mix of, for example, 80% liquid paraffin and 20% mineral spirits. My guess is that this would approximate off-the-shelf kerosene quite well. I would of course test this outside, with appropriate safeguards; and I would be exceedingly cautious about using it indoors. (BIG FAT DISCLAIMER: This is pure speculation; it is not a recommendation. Use your own judgement, at your own risk.)

P.S., Thanks Teslinhiker for the excellent link. An interesting read. There's always more to learn.