Originally Posted By: hikermor
I typically carry canned foods rather than dehydrated foods in a vehicle since I would only have to used my water stash to prepare the dried stuff. With canned fruits and stews, I am augmenting my water supply, rather than using it up. The empty tins also become potentially useful objects in an emergency(tin can lid signal mirror, anyone?).

The trick is finding food items which can survive any length of time in the rather severe environment of a car. It is generally necessary to recycle fairly often - at least once a year.

In theory, the perfect stove would be one which would run off the car's fuel supply. Then you would not have to keep any kind of fuel canister within the passenger space. Depending upon the specific vehicle, it might be tricky to obtain fuel from the tank. I go with a Trangia cook kit, and a small bottle of alcohol in a sturdy bottle.

Good suggestions on the canned food, Hikemor! Thank you

While I really like SUV’s especially for my dogs, they do present their own set of challenges like safely storing fuel and making sure things are secured in the event of an accident. I will do some research on the Trangia cook kit. Do you use regular alcohol in it? And what specific type of container do you recommend? I doubt that I’d be able to drain fuel from my SUV. I probably would rotate everything outside of the Mtn. House food a couple times per year. My rig is parked in the garage except while in use so that does cut down on temp extremes somewhat. Thanks again for the input!

I do have one of the MSR fuel bottles that I picked up but then never used.

Edited by rebwa (04/25/10 02:34 PM)