Food and Water in the car kit

The recent string of devastating earthquakes have prompted me to upgrade the stock in my car kit in the way of food and water.

Carrying adequate water in the suv is my biggest challenge. Right now I have a case of 24 (16.9 oz) bottles of bottled water and several stainless water bottles that I keep rotated and filled. I’m going to upgrade the coglan’s water purification tabs to the Katadyn tablets.

The Mountain House freeze dried meals weigh next to nothing and take up very little room in my car kit. Most that I’ve tried taste pretty darn good too. I’ve tossed in some hard candy, packages of the crackers and cheese and several Luna Bars. I also keep 3 days worth of dog food in a vacuumed sealed container in the rig and rotate it monthly. And, a tube of the Nunn electrolyte tabs.

A snow peak 700 pot with lid and spork are also in the kit. I would love to keep my stow peak stove and a couple of fuel canisters there but I’m uneasy about keeping fuel canisters in the SUV. So for now I have an Eco fuel stove with 4 canisters of Eco-fuel. As a back-up I have a Esbit stove and extra fuel tabs stored as well.

Love to hear what others carry in the way of food and water.