Originally Posted By: TomApple

A really good off-the-shelf LED strobe is the VIP Survivor by Adventure Light. It's very conspicuous, has a steady on, steady strobe, and SOS strobe settings.

It's not cheap though. They go for about $180 retail.

You can get one here: VIP Survivor at Night-Gear for $120, shipping included. The review of these at Seasteading.org under "Strobe" provides a coupon code they say is good for 10% off.

That still seems like a lot, when US Coast Guard approved Xenon Strobe with 3 mile range can be had for $15. While the VIP's versatility (it also serves as a regular light) would make me consider it for backpacking, and the 100 meter depth rating for diving, there are other choices with that versatility, like the $25 ACR Firefly Plus (albeit that unit has less range and no USCG/SOLAS approval).

I notice that Alan Romania chose the VIP Survivor for his personal small survival kit.

The 2008 VIP Survivor PDF brochure says:
  • SOLAS approved May 2008
  • 2"x3"x1.35"
  • 4 oz
  • output is Off/Steady On/SOS/flashing (bevel twist controlled)
  • -40 deg F to 150 deg F operating range
  • waterproof to 100 meters
  • lithium EL 123A 3V battery, (for which a 10 yr shelf life is claimed.)

The 2008 brochure says 2.5 mile visibility, 12+ hour life, but it seems to have been upgraded since to 3+ mile range and 20+ hour battery life, per the spec sheet on the current web site. I wondered if the apparent increase in brightness and battery life was due to an LED upgrade. After searching around, I found that the Seasteading Strobe review indicates that was the case.

My first thought was that I'd add some spare batteries, and I see they recommend that too.

I looked at the VIP LED strobe line on the Adventure Lights Web Site. The model differences seem to be whether you want the lifejacket/raft size, black or yellow, and, for the lifejacket size, whether you want the control to be (manual/pull pin/water activated) for list ($130/$180/$210). The web site has a side bar with more information (applications/specifications/instructions/brochure/warranty)

Adventure Lights also has some pretty exotic variants of this unit for military use, including versions with multisource IR/Green/White light, programming for changing light signatures, intensities and IFF identification, a "Mockingbird (TM)" feature that will memorize another IR source, and a target warning feature that reacts detects a targeting laser, illuminator or high output IR light source.

Edited by rafowell (04/24/10 08:55 PM)
Edit Reason: Mention Alan's kit