Originally Posted By: hikermor
Is it possible to get a guy's color in the right size and get a reasonable fit - given that this is outdoor gear and not something for a job interview?

I ask because I bought my Dri-Clime a bit on the loose side.

Guy's jackets tend to be cut narrower in the hips, so it depends on the woman's build and how that brand's sizes tend to run. My Marmot's stuff is all women's.

I have some guy's jackets and coats because, like you said: I'm not wearing them to the office. For walking my dog or around a campground, a perfectly tailored fit is not a high priority -- pockets, material and color are.

I like my Dri-Climes loose enough to allow wearing over a lightweight fleece top.

Here's an example of a man's jackets that I have because there was not a woman's version (and because I got this one half-off). Great for dog walks in mild temps and for bumming around camp where I am especially fond of having numerous pockets. As the description below states, it's a reproduction of a 1956 safari-style jacket. Lotsa pockets.

Explorer Jacket
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/63073?pag...4-sub2&np=Y

"Inspired by our 1956 Bush Jacket, it features 10 functional pockets – six outside and four inside – and an improved vented back cape that keeps you cool in hot climates without allowing weather to penetrate. Durable cotton canvas is enzyme-washed for a soft, weathered appearance and treated to be water resistant. Lined with lightweight, fast-drying mesh to help air circulate and keep you dry. Gusseted back allows for a natural, comfortable fit across shoulders. Zip front and drawcord waist."

Attachments
bean explorer jacket.jpg