Originally Posted By: rebwa
The NRA has some good reading materials on safety that you might check out. They have a minimal charge for some of their brochures but well worth it in my opinion.

In the early 1990s, the NRA began a program originally geared to women called "Refuse To Be A Victim." I was privileged to attend the inaugural public session.

I very highly recommend attending a session, or more. There are now licensed instructors around the country you can access via the website at the link below. RTBAV is pointedly silent on the subject of gun ownership or use.

A couple of RTBAV points I picked up which I credit with saving me a few years later when I was attacked walking home from work at 7:00p (a dark November night):

1) if carrying a purse or other bag, carry it on your shoulder adjacent to a wall or fence. This way a smash-and-grab is more difficult.

2) if attacked, yell "FIRE! FIRE! FIRE!" as loud as you can.

3) And do not -- absolutely do not -- let them drag you into an alley, building or vehicle. Fall to the ground and fake a seizure if you have to (it's not easy to pick up off the ground someone who does not want to be picked up).

Especially in an urban area, people can become inured to screams or are too scared to help. But hearing "FIRE!" gets people concerned about their own property so they are more likely to respond or at least call 911. In my case, a man walking the opposite direction had been suspicious of a guy walking in the street a few parked cars behind me. The bystander stopped to watch as I walked past and saw the guy turn the corner after I did. He was already walking my direction when he then saw the stalker start running and subsequently heard me yelling. After I started yelling, several people came running out of the houses in front of which I was attacked.

By the way, I had pepper spray in my pocket when the attacker tackled me from behind and tried to pry my arms apart (which were clutching my purse). Pepper spray does no good when it's in your pocket. Now if I'm walking at night I have pepper spray in my hand, finger over the trigger.

Krista -- you should see if your husband's military base has security training for women.
If they don't have something akin to the Refuse To Be A Victim course, ask if it's possible to get it offered. If you have enough friends (men and women) who would be interested you could contact a local instructor on your own and set up a private session.

A couple of years ago as part of National Crime Prevention Month (October), I convinced my workplace to offer two lunchtime Refuse To Be A Victim sessions.

RTBAV has expanded its scope to include Internet security and workplace security. It can save you money as well as save your life.

And it's not for women only.

http://www.nrahq.org/rtbav/

Home Security
Personal Security
Automobile Security
Workplace Security
Technological Security

Through a four-hour seminar (shorter presentations are available) called Refuse To Be A VictimŽ, you can learn the personal safety tips and techniques you need to avoid dangerous situations and avoid becoming a victim.

Hundreds of federal, state, and local law enforcement officials across the country have implemented Refuse To Be A VictimŽ into their crime prevention and community policing initiatives.