The recent thread on the poor woman who succumbed after trying to hike out in muddy conditions prompted me to start this thread. Having appropriate footwear in your vehicle for the season and the location you are in, could make a big difference in a situation where you find yourself on foot. If your feet get wet and it turns cold, you’re in big trouble in a hurry.

Over the years I’ve experimented with various hiking boots and gaiter combinations as well as the tall Muck Boots.

In the PNW, my three season 'go to' boots are the Muck boot Tack classic in the high. I have a couple of horses and the shape of the foot bed also offers some protection around hooved animals. They are just very comfortable for me to wear and walk in-I walk my dogs with them usually at least a couple miles per day, with the exception of slick or icy conditions.

For those conditions I prefer hiking boots with gaiters. I always carry a pair of the Muck boots in my SUV along with hiking boots suitable for the season and that includes gaiters in fall thru spring.

My winter hiking boots are Keen winter boots and they are very toasty and comfy but I’ve had some issues with them not being durable. Same durability issues with both the Keen and Merrell ventilated summer boots. I’ve had great luck with the Cabelas all leather Rimrock hikers as far as holding up well and getting the most wear, they are great boots unless the weather is really cold or hot and reasonably priced as well.

All of our feet are a bit different but I'd love to hear what's worked well for other women.